Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Another time, another place, another year

I haven’t updated in a while, and it’s the end of the year, so consider this a long entry.

I spent last week in Michigan for Christmas. I arrived to Richland after 14+ hours of traveling - which included flight delays, missed flights, and standby lists. I once again learned it pays to be polite but persistent, and that if you get the right people on your side (the ones who know what they’re doing), results come faster. I was very fortunate to get on a flight to Flint. (As the flight attendant said to a full flight, “Are you sure you’re on the right plane? Who goes to Flint?”)

After all the aggravation, it was good to finally set foot in Michigan. The cold, cold air welcomed me home. I rode in the backseat with Mom and Dad from Flint to Richland, as Dad drove through the late night snow. It was nice having some alone time with them, and most of the trip was spent chattering.

It’s always weird coming home. I’m not quite sure I’ve processed it all yet, but the most obvious feeling is one of change. I have my own life in Boston, separate from anything I left behind in my former life. It’s almost like having two selves, and I just have to find the best way to make the two selves meet and be at peace. As Aunt Jeanne jokingly said to me, “Man, there’s so much I don’t know about you!” And she’s right.

Over the week, I was lucky to see friends and lovers from high school and college, if even for a few minutes (thanks, Molly, for meeting me in a Delton parking lot to exchange gifts and hugs). My own ghosts of Christmases passed …

After Richland, it was on to Detroit and the various Symons-family gatherings. I had a lot of good laughs and enjoyed seeing my cousins – even Erin flew in from San Francisco. Sadly, I didn’t get to see Luke (and his girlfriend Rachel). That was quite disappointing, since I haven’t seen him since Thanksgiving weekend in 2007. I believe it’s the longest we’ve ever gone without seeing each other our whole lives.

It all went by very fast and before I knew it, I was back at the airport. I was feeling ready to be leaving, and to get back home to my Boston routine and my loved ones here. But amidst the hugging and goodbyes, there were suddenly tears (Dad started it), and I was saying goodbye with a quivering chin. Goodbye to them, and to my other self.

--

Here are a few things I’ve learned (or relearned) in 2008, in no particular order:

-Ask for help when you need it, even if it means trusting a stranger.

-I have more possessions and wealth than most of the world will ever own.

-Despite the November election results, there is still much to be desired in terms of social justice for all people.

-Big risks are often worth taking, even when they are scary.

-I am still quite young.

-I am lucky to be employed (and at a job I enjoy).

-The world is messy.

-People are essentially good.

-However, people often act out of selfishness.

-Mice are resilient bitches.


In the spirit of rebirth and renewal, and all the other things the New Year stands for, here are some of my goals for 2009, in no particular order:

-Cook multiple times a week; learn more techniques (and conquer my fear of baking) and research food & recipes.

-Get back into yoga, at least 3 times a week.

-Spend less time on the internet.

-Buy a sketchpad and start drawing again.

-Make a dent in my debt (student loans & credit card).

-Donate more clothes & cut back on my possessions.

-Travel to Montreal, NYC and San Francisco.

-Use my SLR camera again – take photos of people & places around the city (and world).

-Practice Spanish.

-Do some freelance writing & more personal writing.

-Keep in touch better with those far away.

-Find additional sources of revenue (i.e. babysitting).

-Keep the apartment cleaner (i.e. buy a mop).

-Learn to knit.

It’s going to be a busy year, but I’m up for it. I better got off the internet.

4 comments:

Soloreno's World said...

AK,

meaningful reflection, ambitious goals stated publicly usually get more accomplished, good luck with all that. enjoyed our short time together and my tears were for the moments we didn't have together but will;)

love you much, SR

Anonymous said...

ash-
i also enjoyed our alone time together.also, watching the videos of your younger years-so darn cute and i'm not just saying that because i'm your mother.:)my goals are to get you home for a visit in feb. and yo visit you in boston this summer!happy new year sweetie! and send pics in your new dress. love you,mom

Anonymous said...

I agree with Aunt Jeanne, there is so much we don't know about you. Reading your blog helps us gain some insight. It was good to see you, even if for a short time.

Aunt Sheryl

Anonymous said...

ak
love your sight
It blows me away to get on line and
well
my neice is all grow up
the things you write about have such a personal affect on my emotions
family is good